Please take into account that this is the rough, rough draft. There are many mistakes, and a few bits are missing or don't quite make sense.
Kaleb’s Death- Somewhere in the middle, probably around chapter 9 or 10
“We need water.” I said to everyone that night at the usual meeting around the fire, “We have enough for about two or maybe three more days if we stretch it.. So, tomorrow I need a few people to go with me to find some.”
The nine, well eight of them exchanged glances, Suzanna was painting her nails and not paying any attention, still glowering about our little spat earlier.
“Caroline obviously can’t come.” I said, and I didn’t want to take Vicky or Daley, both of them being still somewhat unstable. Nathan stuck to Daley like glue, leaving him out. That left Ink, Craig, Kaleb, and Suzanna.
“I’ll go.” Ink raised her hand. No real surprise there.
“I told Jared I would help him tomorrow.” Craig informed me. I nodded to show that that was an expectable excuse.
That left Kaleb and Suzanna.
“You know there’s really no reason for you to go. The resque planes will be here soon.” Suzanna said without looking up from her hands
I gritted my teeth as she continued, “It will only make it harder for them to find you when they come. I’m certainly not going.”
It took most of the patience I had to say in an even voice, “Nobody asked you to go Suzanna.” It took the rest of my patience not to say that she could try waiting a few more days for the planes and then see if getting water was so pointless then.
“Well who else is there?” She put in, “None of you kids can possibly handle it.”
“I’ll go.” Kaleb interrupted, throwing a glance at her that clearly read, ‘Please shut up’
“Well fine. Someone needs to stay here and make sure things run smoothly anway.” Suzanna said haughtily.
I ignored the last comment, “You sure Kaleb? We might be gone for more than a day.”
He glanced again at Suzanna, “Definitely.”
“Okay. We’ll head out after breakfast.”
The next morning the three of us headed out, it was agreed that we would walk westward along the shore.
At first we didn’t really talk much, just walked along the beach, but then the beach ran out. It turned into grass and the grass began to go uphill. We agreed to continue on, “So, Kaleb. How did you end up going on this trip?” I asked in an attempt to make conversation.
He shrugged, “Same way as everyone else I guess. Found the program online, applied and six weeks later got a letter in the mail.”
I thought for a minute that all conversation was going to end there, but then he continued, “What about you guys?”
I shrugged, “Same thing. Ink and I applied together.” I didn’t mention my sister, not wanting to open that can of tears.
Ink let it slide.
After another two hours we began to get discouraged. We sat down and ate and then continued on.
“You know, it would be just our luck that there was water to the East.” Ink said as we trudged forward, the land was really sloping upward now.
“That’s nice Ink, let’s look at the bright side of things.” I teased lightly.
“On the bright side, we’re getting plenty of exercise.” Kaleb put in, panting slightly.
I laughed. “I knew I’d like you.”
We continued on, the sun now started to shine in our faces as we continued west. I checked my watch, 1 o’clock. “Guys, much farther and it won’t even be worth it.” I said, we’d already gone through an entire bottle.
“Give it another hour.” Kaleb said.
Five of walking, not to mention on the way back we would be carrying filled bottles. We were going to be exausted when we got back.
But then, ten minutes later I heard a sound that we’d been searching for, rushing water.
Kaleb and Ink heard it to, and we ran forward excitedly. Two minutes later we saw it, a fairly large rushing river.
Yes!” Ink and I hi-fived each other, and then Kaleb help up both of his hands and we slapped them.
“All right, first things first.” I said suddenly serious, “We drink!”
The three of us stooped at the edge of the river near the edge, the water was cool and deliciously fresh. Those things about “Natural Spring water” didn’t even come close.
I didn’t like the look of the current though, flying just a few feet in front of us, “I don’t think going into the water would be a good idea.” I said, sitting up to see Ink drinking next to me. “Kaleb?” I looked to my right and saw him walking out on a rock ledge the lead out to the middle of the river.
“Careful!” I called.
Suddenly a CRACK erupted through the sounds of the water. He froze as the ledge wobbled.
I stood up, a foot into the water, “Kaleb!” I yelled, “Get back over here” but he didn’t move. Next to me Ink yelled his name again.
He slowly looked up at me, I held his eyes for a split second, that’s when I knew. Somehow a second before the rock shattered I knew. So did he.
A second after he fell into the raging current I dove in after him. Within seconds the current was pulling me too, towards the cliffs and the inevitable waterfall.
The current tugged and twisted me, but I didn’t fight against it. I let is pull me and I desperately searched for Kaleb. But I was moving so fast. I saw that the edge was only thirty feet away.
Crap- I was moving too fast, and I wasn’t sure I could break the current. Suddenly I saw a plaid shirt just a few feet ahead of me. Kaleb. I surged forward and grabbed him.
Then I was falling. But only for a second. I hit the water, tugging Kaleb along with me, unconscious. I was pushed several feet under by the water fall. I kicked with all my might to get out from under it. A small voice in my head told me this would be a lot easier if I would let go, but I refused. Stubbornly I kicked along till finally the enourmas pressure was gone.
I surged upward and inhaled, the air feeling sweet against my burning lungs. After taking a few breaths I lay on my back and heaved Kaleb up so that I had my arm holding him securely across his chest.
“Jodi!” I heard Ink yell. I looked up to see her worried face about ten feet above me at the top of the fall. “We’re good!” I yelled.
The pool of water that I was in now turned out to be on another ledge just ten feet below the top. I looked around and spotted one problem, “Ink is there any land?” I called up to her.
She pointed East. “There’s a bit over there. Its not very big though.”
“That’s okay!” then I began to swim over.
Ink walked along the edge, keeping pace with me, “How’s Kaleb?” She asked
“Unconscious!” I yelled back. I think my ears are waterlogged, I seemed to be yelling a lot.
“He doesn’t look like he’s breathing.”
That made me stop. Was he breathing? I didn’t feel his chest moving at all.. I treaded water and checked.
He wasn’t.
“No.” I started pulling back towards spot. I couldn’t help him while still in the water, “Come on Kaleb. Come on you have to breathe.” I said to him.
Ink was that I was now going double time towards the land. She seemed to understand now.
“Oh my god. Jodi!” She screamed
I didn’t say anything didn’t waste any breath one answering her. I could see the spot now.
I reached the ledge and pushed Kaleb up onto it before heaving myself out of the water.
Small to say the least. We had about four feet of space before it the edge. I tried to remember what we’d been taught about CPR.
“head back.” I muttered to my self.. But when I tilted his head back I froze. “What the-” I felt the back of his head.
Then I turned and threw up into the canyon on the other side of the landleadge
“Jodi! Are you okay?” Ink screamed again, helpless twenty feet above me. But I was still coughing up was seemed like a never ending stream of water.
After a minute I turned and wiped my mouth with the back of my sleeve. “He’s dead.” I choked out.
“What do you mean? You havn’t even tried-”
I cut her off, “The back of his skull,” I paused trying to dislodge the way his head had felt to my fingers, “It got smashed somehow.”
“What do you mean?”
“I mean Ink. That he’s dead. There’s nothing I can do.” Saying it outloud stung wildly.
She sank to her knees, not making any noise now. I stared at Kaleb’s face, you couldn’t even see it from this angle. Looked like he was sleeping…
We both sat there for a minute, unable to say anything. I heard Ink crying and then my brain snapped into the right mode.
I stood carefully, picking my way carefully along the ledge till I was a few feet away from the rock wall that would go back up to Ink.
It was slick, there was literally nothing to hold onto to try and climb it. Great, “Ink.” I called up to her.
She leaned forward to see me better, “Yeah?”
“Ink I can’t climb up the wall. Your going to have to go back and get help, and rope.”
She shook her head like I had expected her to. “No. I can’t leave you-”
“You have to. There’s no way for me to climb up Ink. Especially with-” I cut that, not wanting to say it, “just go and get help. Get Jared and Craig.”
Ink shook her head and started to cry again, “Jodi I can’t. Not by myself.”
“Yes you can. All you have to do is walk. Grab some of the full bottles and start walking.” I tried to show her the way I thought, how to just do it.
She stood and walked out of my sight range, I backed up, so that I could see her. She grabbed her bag and mine and gathered up the bottles, weather they were full or not and put them all into her pack. Kaleb’s sat near the now broken rock ledge. She left it.
She leaned over the edge, “Here!”
I took a few steps forward and caught my pack seconds after she dropped it. “Thanks. Now go!”
Thursday, May 28
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment